A Muslim food and drink company has been forced to close its Melbourne branch after the local council said it was ‘Islamophobic’.
Key points:A Muslim food & drink company said it had been forced into closing its Melbourne cafe due to “Islamophobia”The restaurant had been in the area for over a decadeThe council said they were “deeply disappointed”The Melbourne-based Muslim food company, called Muslim Food & Drink, had been a regular customer at the former Muslim Food Centre.
It was established in 2005 and had been serving traditional Pakistani and Bangladeshi food to its customers in the suburb of Goulburn since 2013.
Its Melbourne branch was opened by its owner, Fahad Al-Jazrawi, in 2010 and has since expanded to include a branch in Southbank.
It said it wanted to continue serving customers in Melbourne, but had received “deep and sustained condemnation” from local councillors.
“We’re deeply disappointed with the council’s decision, which will affect Muslim Food&Drinks for good,” it said in a statement on Wednesday.
“It is time for us to recommit to serving Melbourne’s growing Muslim community.”‘
We don’t need to be discriminated against’: MayorMelbourne City Council chief executive John McVey said the decision was “deep, deep hurtful”.
“I am deeply disappointed and ashamed by the councils decision, because we don’t have to be discriminatory against anyone, or be treated as outsiders or outsiders of any religion, he said.”
Our diversity and inclusion measures are not about forcing anyone to choose between their faith or their community, but are about making sure that our community has access to the best in local and international food and drinks.
“He said the council was looking at ways to “strengthen community trust and ensure that our restaurants are open and welcoming”.”
We will continue to work with the business to find a way forward.
“The council, which has been running a pilot scheme with other councils in the city to test whether they could open Muslim food businesses, said it would be opening a new business next month.
The council had been running the program for six months, and had identified some of the areas that needed to be improved, it said.
It would be running a “brief” review of how the business operated.”
In addition to the general review of the operation, the council is considering whether we should move forward with a further review of our licence,” it added.
Mr Al-Jaazrawyi, who is originally from Egypt, founded the company after a trip to Afghanistan, where he met his future wife.”
My aim is to bring my experiences from Afghanistan to Australia and inspire others to do the same,” he told The New Daily newspaper.”
I want to give back to my country and give a voice to other people from that country.
“There are many people who are living in fear of their safety, so I wanted to help them feel safe and secure.”
Mr Al Jazrawie’s wife was also an Afghan refugee who has since returned to Australia, and his company’s founder said he would be working with her to get her back.
“The first thing I did was call her and we spoke for a few minutes, and we talked about the need to support each other, and to build a family, ” he said, according to The New Bulletin.
“She was very emotional, and she was also a big supporter of my business.”
The company had recently begun a marketing campaign for its new Melbourne location, which it said was a “first step”.
“It was really great to be able to open our Melbourne branch and bring in a lot of new customers and to show that we can do that,” Mr Al-Jeazraw, the company’s CEO, told the newspaper.
He said his business had already been receiving “very positive feedback” from other businesses and from customers, who had come to the Melbourne branch to sample the food.
“People from all walks of life are coming here to sample our food,” he said of the first day customers had come in.
“They want to know what our food is like, they want to try some of our different dishes, they just want to see what we can make.”‘
Muslim food is good’: MinisterA spokesman for the Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, Scott Morrison, said he was “very disappointed” the council had chosen to ban the business.
“This is an extremely disappointing decision which does not serve the best interests of Melbourne’s Muslim community and we condemn it in the strongest possible terms,” he wrote in a Facebook post.
“Muslims are a diverse and inclusive community and the ban will only further erode the trust that Muslims have in the council.”
Muslim food and beverage should be a safe and welcomed part of our community, and a vital part of the fabric of our